Thursday 12 September 2013

The Five "God" Cards Of The Upcoming Set "Theros"

Okay, the reason why "god" is in quotation marks in my title is because, if you didn't already catch on, these god cards are not so godly. In fact, I'm debating day by day on whether I would consider them playable. After days though, I found myself really liking the god Nylea (Green God). I suppose I will count down the best to worse God cards that are coming out in Theros.

1. Nylea

Now, by looking at this new "devotion" trait, it is completely relevant to green considering green sometimes revolves around creatures/permanents. I myself am a fan of ramping. Anyways, her second last ability is great to have in green, it is so relevant in green aggro. Big creatures can kill and get through with more trample damage that is direct. The only thing that kinda poops on me about the card is the mana cost for his last ability. It's one of those abilities that would be about ten times better if it were 2 less mana, or even 1. however, it is relevant in ramp to have a lot of mana, so I believe this card will become very playable, compared to the others, in standard format. let alone you'd have mana Elves, Burning Tree Emisaries, Kalonian Tuskers and hopefully Domri Rade on the field, this guy could come into play as a 6/6 indestructible 4-drop creature.
Rating: 7.1/10



Ah, Nylea. The next card I'm about to show is only slightly behind Nylea, but considering the mechanics of devotion, I doubt this next god will so much play in standard as of now and what I've seen from the theros spoilers.

2. Thassa

Now, this is a 3-drop. That's good. But considering the expected use of devotion, the CMC of 3 will just be less mana to use so that you can use other mana for other things (counterspells, enchantments). The second last ability for scrying on your upkeep is a great ability, and really great if your stuck behind. If you dont want to draw that topdeck, you dont have to with this chick. It's last ability is quite impressive as well. Now, the downside. Let me get this off my chest, this god would have been better with just about any other color. When I think of blue, I think of control, not a ton of permanents that can help you make this sucker a creature. The only flaw to this card, is its color. But I dont know yet, maybe they will release a bunch of Blue creatures that actually do something good for a change. (other than snapcaster, aetherling and auger of course)
As of now, this is my rating.
Rating: 6.5/10

My favorite two gods are chicks and I just realized that. They're the only goddesses in Theros right now. GIRL POWER. Anyways, next up is the red guy.

3.Purphoros


If you can pull of this guy's theme, you will probably win the game if your lucky. But, the true difference between this guy and the other gods is that he doesn't do work for you, you have to work to get his threat off the ground. This card would be really good with Young Pyromancer and Parallel Lives... but that card will be rotating out when Theros comes out. The fact that he is indestructible makes him better, but, all the gods are. I just have to say that you have to play tokens to get this guy working. aside from that, people have disagreed, but I think his last ability is terrible. I say, ignore it until you have no good cards in your hand. Get this guy to become a creature and swing in! Man I wish tokens had CMC's, just there, not like you have to pay it or anything. This card, by the way, is kinda tied with the other.


Rating: 6/10

4. Erebos

Now, "oponents cant gain life" is a seriously good effect, late game. But I would keep this in my sideboard. When I think of a god card, idealy, I would want in maindeck. This guy has a purpose though, as an opponent starver. This card means anti "Heroes Reuinion", "Pelaka Wurm" and, a big jerk in standard format this days, the life gain of "Sphinx's Revalation". As of now, I cant really see much play for this guy unless you're running a Black Devotion. This card does stop things from hapenning, but I dont see a winner here. Compared to Nylea, Erebos is just a wimp sitting in the backround. Nylea works with your board much better and provides ability to stomp over creatures to deal damage to the undernumbered 20 health a player has. Erebos, is good, but only support good. Not the help kind of support, but the support you can have while in a Two-headed Dragon battle. Still, not my aggressive cup of tea.

Rating: 6/10


5. Heliod
 Yay vigilance.
 Yay 4 mana for a Cleric token thats a 2/1
Yay
yay
yey
I'm sorry for my sarcasm if it was noticed. This guy isn't that bad. I can see what white has to offer, I suppose. His vigilance ability is okay... but i mean... 4 mana for a cleric that isn't even a human?
"Tapping four, Heliod." - Jimmy
*oponent begins to laugh*
*oponent tells people in the table behind him*
*people on back table begin to laugh*
*and then more people laugh*
*the store owners come in and laugh*
*store owner tells other store owners*
"I don't get it"- Jimmy
*world laughs*                                                Rating: 4/10

Well, as you can see, this was my first post. I appreciate you taking the time to read... if you did.

Thanks.
 
Next week, I take a look at scry lands and discuss my pauper deck!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment